Sunday, January 21, 2007

Post practice analysis

Again disappointed with myself initially after the net practice I spent Sunday afternoon bowling on grass again trying to rectify my mistakes. This time bowling 51 overs back to back and again on grass doing so much better despite it being wet. But thinking about it, the practice in the nets although it was awful for the first 90 minutes because I couldn't get my length or placing right it did come together during the session where we were playing against each other. Yeah I bowled loads of wides, but the length and the variations worked. Okay I didn't bowl anyone out but almost everyone without exception was knocking short balls right up into the air and in a match would no doubt have been caught out. I also edged a few and a couple of people were caught behind, so in affect I did okay? You tell me - is that true?

I've also got a question for you experts out there. If I'm bowling against a RH batsman I am allowed to bowl down his leg side aren’t I with the intention of making the ball swing in round the back of his legs? (See the first diagram left). Does it then follow that if I was to bowl a straight ball fairly wide I'd get away with it as if the batsman was to try a hook, sweep or square cut shot the length of their arms and bat would extend quite some distance? (See image below).



6 comments:

  1. Bolwing outside leg stump is a good tactic if the ball is turning. The downside is that the batsman can play with his pad as you can't get an LBW.

    Also, on a side note, have you considered doing some basic shoulder mobility and strengthening work to avoid getting an repetitive type injury?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, tell me about the shoulder mobility and strengthening. I've got one of those bendy bars 24" long with a big coil in the middle and you bend them and hold the thing closed and that seems to help with shoulders, arms and chest?

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've looked at your website and there was a mention half heartedly about doing headstands and handstands. Is that for real or a joke? Because handstands are something I've always done. One of my other sports that I partake in is surfing, so I swim and and I do handstands as a way of keeping my arm and shoulder muscles developed and it helps with reflex, agility and balance. So is this also useful for my bowling/cricket?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The bendy bar is OK, and doing handstands are brilliant for shoulder stability.

    But if you use the bar alone you are risking a muscular imbalance because it's only training your front muscles (pecs, anterior deltoids). I would recommend a whole body strength training program 1-2 time a week building up to the start of the season.

    It doesn't need to be complicated, just balanced and training every part of your cricketing muscles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dave is there somewhere on your website where I can get some guidance on this? I'm never going to be someone who pays to go a gym or even goes to a gym if it was free! I'll have a look around your website and see what's there, but if you know of something specific send me a link please?

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can do it all with body weight (or if you are really keen a couple of dumbbells) a couple of times a week.

    Should take about 20-30 mins per session.

    drop me a mail or get me on msn (both david at harrow drive dot com) and I will give you a run down.

    ReplyDelete