Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Practice locations

The preferred venue still seems to be Great Berry Open Space. On Saturday mornings it's used by an unofficial kids football club and when we've practiced there before early 10.00am they arrived at about 10.30 and situated themselves quite some distance away from us and we were both able to use the space side by side. They appeared to practice till about 12.00 - 12.30 so if we get over there at 13.00hrs we should have the space to ourselves? If that's the case we'll situate ourselves in the centre of the field and I may even mow the grass and start to create a designated wicket (As I do with my local football field). I've already been over there and had a look to see how flat it is and it's impressively flat, locals say that several years ago it did have a cricket square but was never used. I'm contemplating contacting the council to see what it would take for that to be reinstated?

Other places that have been metioned recently include the school field where Thomas and my kids go. Thomas didn't follow that up so I did and having had a look myself and talking to the caretaker it's not really usable as it's far too small.

Another option I will look into is the fields behind the school where we have the net practice. This is a good field in that it's got high security fencing all around it and it is massive. How level it is I don't know but I've never seen people playing football on it so it may be really flat? If the caretaker will allow us to use and not charge us for it again I'll ask him if we can maintain it e.g. get a mower over there and keep it short and designate a wicket area? The only downside is that it's in an ugly/chavvy part of basildon whereas Great Berry Open Space is in a posh bit and it's quite picturesque.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:29 am

    Hey dave

    I think the nets are still a good Idea, though if we are going to play a match with the second hour anyway Simon's idea of just going straight out on the grass is a good one because we will be practicing the same skills but in a more realistic setting (and you are right that it may mean we get more people turning up for the grass practice) I'm happy to go along with the general consensus

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:30 pm

    dave unable to follow up the school field i suggested, i have been away a couple off days [working] liverpool. nottingham.cambridge.north.west. east south keep on trucking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I checked it out - far too small. I might have a look at James Hornsbys field in the next couple of day, that's big and no-one uses it Saturdays whereas the Great Berry Open Space field gets used in the mornings. Not sure whether it'll be a better Idea to practice later in the day?

    ReplyDelete