Saturday, October 18, 2008

Cricket on the television

I've got to say I hate SKY TV.

1. Because it is full of advertising.
2. Because it belongs to that scum Murdoch and his politics and control of the media is far too big and influential.
3. Because instead of offering a choice it deny's many people any choice because of simple economics. Because of SKY and it's power the BBC can't ever begin to put together the kind of money required to bid for cricket TV rights against SKY.

Tonight I've come across a couple of websites that claim to cover most of if not all of the key international matches around the world for what appears to be a ridiculously reasonable fee 25 pound for three years worth and that includes the Ashes next summer? It sounds too good to be true - so if you're out there and you use this and it works could you please email me or send a comment with your views as I'm sceptical?

Also looking around I found this which is very interesting -

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricket/3087246/LIve-cricket-television-deal-under-review.html

Hopefully this will mean that we'll see some of the Ashes on real tele without incessant adverts?

3 comments:

  1. Hi - discovered your site through Google Alerts.

    Like yourself, I am saddened by the lack of cricket on terrestrial TV, and the apparent unwillingness of mainstream broadcasters to show even a few matches to those of us without satellite. (Although given the Stanford situation, the Beeb was perhaps correct to stand back from the mess cricket is in at the minute)

    Ther are quite a few ‘informal webcasters’ out there: I took advantage of them during the England / South Africa Tests and ODIs, especially this one.


    http://www.chavster.ulmb.com

    http://www.chavster.ulmb.com/live_ind_aus_.html


    Chavster enabled me to watch live cricket - for FREE during this past summer (on an Apple Mac, too!). Try it out to get an idea of web-TV quality without shelling out the cash first...

    Also, please check out the following site: constructed by a fellow cricket-obsessive (and staunch supporter of free-to-air cricket on UK TV)...

    http://www.poorcricketfan.com/

    ...lots of links - and also rants and opinion from this site. Can no longer find 'keepcricketfree.com'.

    Sorry I haven’t answered your question directly - but I hope info above helps.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers mate, I had a look at the links you provided, I don't quite understand what's going on, but I'll have another look later. From what I saw - what you've given me here looks like links to Live sports TV? If that's the case it looks like the cricket will be on at 5.00am tomorrow - I might get up early and have a look - cheers!

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dave

    Apologies for not making it plain. ‘Chavster’ does indeed show live sports - soccer is now their first choice. But they did have lots of cricket on in the summer - all for free: Tests, ODIs, some county matches and the IPL as well, I think. Quality is variable - but you gets what you pay for...

    ...I shall try to tune in tomorrow for India v Australia.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete