Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The Big Leg Break and Paddock news



The Paddock

It's rained at last as you'll have seen from the match report and quite substantially, so the paddock has had a soaking and the grass will have had a good watering after weeks of cold and windy but dry weather. With the earth being wet I took the opportunity to repair some of the holes in the wicket.

I mixed up some clay and wetted the hole and using a scraper roughed up the hole and put the pre-wetted clay in the hole hoping that it'll fuse with the earth that's already there. I did try this a month or so ago and it didn't work the clay and the existing earth dried at differing rates and the clay crumbled easily and broke up. This was different clay so it may work, we'll just have to wait and see.

The Big Leg Break

This ball still alludes me so tonight I had a good hour working with the Biggun tonight, initially over 15 yards but after about 1/2 an hour I got it up to 18 yards and stayed there. At 18 yards everything was working - line, length variations in flight and turn and it was turning a lot more than any of my other bowling techniques. For some reason it was just working exceptionally well - but only over the 18 yards. I'm going to try and commit to this for a while because it was so successful tonight and maybe I might be able to suss it out. But I know from previous experiences I go out the next night and it's gone.